Rachel Rush of Mindful Circle and Joanie Plake of Breathe & Learn facilitated the May 21 Talk About It Workshop, a virtual small-group parent session titled “Mindfulness for the Family While Safer at Home.” Rachel and Joanie guided participants through a series of mindfulness practices and activities that can be easily incorporated into an everyday routine. The activities and practices, listed below, are quick and generally require little-to-no materials. We would love to hear if, and how, you add these practices into your routine while #SaferAtHomeBeachCities.
Practices & Activities:
- Mind Jar: Make a mind jar with water and glitter to breathe with and use as a metaphor for our minds.
- Gratitude Practice: Add post-its to a wall, add notes into a jar or make a gratitude chain.
- Grounding: Name 5 things you can see, 4 things you can touch, 3 things you can hear, 2 things you can smell & 1 thing you can taste.
- Grows & Glows: Share your "grow" & "glow" of the day with your family.
- Peace Corner: Make a space with calming books, scents, pillows, etc.
- Hand Breath: Trace your hand as you inhale & exhale, taking 5 deep breaths.
- Candle Breath: Make your hands into a candle and place your hands at your heart. Send loving kindness to yourself, someone important to you and to the world as you move your candle outward.
The Whole Brain Child by Daniel Siegel
Mindful Games by Susan Kaiser Greenland
10 Percent Happier
Please find the recording of this session, as well as more “Talk About It” resources and events, at bchd.org/talk.