HEALTH UPDATE: 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
REVISED September 18, 2020
COVID-19 Updates in LA County - On September 2, the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health revised the Health Officer Order to allow for limited, on-campus operation for schools as well as limited in-door operations of hair salons and barbershops. Read the Health Officer Order here.
- Students with Individualized Education Plans (IEP)
- Students requiring instruction for English as a Second Language (ESL)
- Students needing assessments or specialized in-school services
COVID-19 Updates in California - On August 28, the State revised their recovery roadmap and created an updated, color-coded Tier Framework that classifies each county based on their daily case rate and positivity rate. This tiered system will guide possible sector reopenings for each county to consider. View the new Blueprint for a Safer Economy. Although the State lists permitted activities in each Tier, it is important to note that the County may be more restrictive than State guidance. The ultimate decisions about sector reopenings will remain under the purview of the local Health Officer Orders that are developed in consultation with the Board of Supervisors.
Los Angeles County is currently in Tier 1 (Purple) - meaning that there continues to be widespread transmission of the virus in the county. The current number of new cases per day per 100,000 people is 13.1, nearly double the threshold for this tier which is less than 7 new cases per day per 100,000 population. And even though the County’s current test positivity rate of 5% puts us in Tier 2 (Red) for this metric, when the two metrics fall in different tiers the state places counties in the most restrictive tier. Therefore, the County, like most counties in California, has been placed in Tier 1.
Appointments for COVID-19 testing at Los Angeles County sites have been filling up quickly. The county is strongly encouraging residents who have insurance to first contact their primary care provider for testing. If you are unable to receive testing through your provider, please continue to check the site for availability at Los Angeles County sites, or make an appointment at a Los Angeles City, state-operated or community testing site such as CVS by visiting covid19.lacounty.gov/testing. We recognize the importance of COVID-19 tests during these unprecedented times and apologize for any inconvenience.
- Find updates for LA County, California and the United States
- Learn about the Health Officer Orders from the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health
- Find guidance and prevention tips including information on physical distancing and cloth face coverings
- The best community and individual defense against COVID-19 is washing our hands frequently, avoiding touching our eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands, self-isolating if you are sick, practicing physical distancing, especially by staying at home, and wearing a clean cloth face covering when in contact with others from outside your household. Cloth face coverings are not a replacement for these evidence-based measures; they are an additional tool that may be used to protect us from exposure to COVID-19 when used properly.
- Learn the eligibility requirements and how to schedule an appointment for testing through Los Angeles County
- Find more information on testing through your health care provider
- Learn more about the Isolation and Quarantine orders from the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health
- Find tips to help those in need during COVID-19
- View our Neighbors Helping Neighbors guidelines video
- Donate to the Beach Cities COVID-19 Fund
- While we continue to stay the course to slow the spread of COVID-19, we plan for recovery, as a nation, state, county and South Bay community
- Learn more about the state and county's roadmap to recovery
- View sector-specific reopening protocols from the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health for businesses and employers
- Find the latest tips and resources related to COVID-19
- View our COVID-19 dashboard that provides an overview of cases in Los Angeles County and the Beach Cities
- Background on the novel coronavirus including symptoms and groups who are at higher risk for experiencing severe illness from COVID-19
Updates from the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health | LA County COVID-19 Mapping Applications | Updates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention | Mental Health Resources for Disease Outbreaks
DOWNLOADABLE BCHD RESOURCES:
Handwashing Tips (11x17) | Handwashing Tips (8.5x11) | Physical Distancing ( 11x17) | Physical Distancing (8.5x11) | Need Help (8.5x11) | Kindness Card | COVID-19 Glossary | Care Packages | How to Help | Coloring Page | Workplace Exposure FAQ
OTHER DOWNLOADABLE RESOURCES:
Coping with Stress During Infectious Disease Outbreaks | NAMI COVID-19 Resource and Information Guide
For more information on COVID-19, visit:
Centers for Disease Control & Prevention
California COVID-19 Response - covid19.ca.gov
California Department of Public Health
Los Angeles County COVID-19 Response - covid19.lacounty.gov
Los Angeles County Department of Public Health
World Health Organization