Beach Cities Health District's (BCHD) Youth Advisory Council is comprised of more than 50 middle and high school students (grades 8-12) from Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach and Redondo Beach schools. The Youth Advisory Council is a youth-led committee focusing on the health and well-being of their Beach Cities peers.
|Grade||# of members|
Youth Advisory Council members:
- Act as ambassadors of health by connecting peers with resources, events and information.
- Raise awareness of and offer recommendations on health issues affecting Beach Cities youth including alcohol and other drug use, smoking, vaping, marijuana, stress, anxiety, depression, suicide, social justice, race, healthy equity and sexual identity to discuss prevalent trends and solutions.
- Develop programming for activation on topics including student mental health and substance use.
- Have opportunities to advocate for and implement solutions to address youth health issues through public speaking opportunities and supporting media content including videos, photoshoots, flyers and presentations.
- Serve a term of one year, attend 8 council meetings, complete volunteer orientation, follow ground rules, communicate schedule conflicts in advance, gain community service hours for time on the Youth Advisory Council during meetings and additional activities and be recognized by BCHD’s publicly elected Board of Directors. Additional office hours and brainstorming sessions with staff may also be available.
- Students applying for leadership positions will go through a virtual interview process. Students selected for a leadership position will attend Leadership Orientation prior to the start of the Youth Advisory Council and attend 3 additional leadership meetings throughout the school year.
2023-24 Youth Advisory Council Applications are now closed. Applicants will be notified about the status of their application on October 10, 2023.
Youth Advisory Council meetings will be held in person from 5:30-7 p.m. Meetings for the 2023-24 school year are scheduled on the following dates:
- October 24, 2023
- November 14, 2023
- December 12, 2023
- January 23, 2024
- February 27, 2024
- March 19, 2024
- April 16, 2024
- May 21, 2024
For questions, please contact Cindy Carcamo, Youth Engagement Coordinator, at email@example.com.
For more opportunities to get involved at BCHD, please browse our current volunteer service opportunities and complete an application. For additional information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 310-374-3426 ext. 8246.
Watch the Youth Advisory Council give advice to parents
Watch the winning video from Mental Health Awareness Week at Mira Costa High School
Learn about the Youth Advisory Council's Substance Use Campaigns #EscapeTheVape and Don’t Drink, Rethink
COVID-19 Health & Safety Posters created by students from BCHD’s Youth Advisory Council
- What does 6 feet physical distancing look like?
- Be smart. Have a Heart. Stay 6 feet apart.
- Stay Home if You Are Sick
- Stay Home: Text Message
- Feeling Sick? Stay Home
- How to Wash Your Hands
- A Few Times You May Want to Wash Your Hands
- 20 Second Lyrics
- STOP. Before you leave home, have you...
- Guide to Face Masks
- Note to Parents/Guardians on Face Masks
- Guide to No-Sew Face Masks
- How to Use Face Masks
COVID-19 Health & Guidance Videos created by students from BCHD's Youth Advisory Council
- Tips and Guidance for Washing Your Hands
- What Does Physical Distancing Look Like?
- Elevate Your Look With Face Masks
- Face Mask: Mythbusting