Tips to help those in need during COVID-19:
Reach out to neighbors you know who are safer at home including older adults and those with underlying health conditions. Some ways you can help:
- Keep a positive attitude as much as possible
- Take out and pick up trash cans
- Bring the mail or newspaper to the front porch
- Walk the dog(s)
- Move the car for parking purposes
- Send a care package
- Drop off or pick up letters or packages at the post office
- Video chat, call, email or text to let them know you are thinking about them
- Bring meals or schedule meal delivery
- Shop or run errands
- Pick up prescriptions or over the counter supplies
Volunteer for the COVID-19 Clinical Study for Patients at Increased Risk of Worsening Symptoms
This clinical study is evaluating whether an oral study drug reduces the duration and/or severity of illness among people recently diagnosed with COVID-19 who are at increased risk of worsening symptoms.
Currently, there are no approved oral treatments for COVID-19. If you have recently been diagnosed with COVID-19, participation in this study can be an option to consider not only for yourself, but as an important contribution to the global effort to move beyond COVID-19.
This study may be an option for you if you are at least 18 years old and meet all the requirements below:
- You have tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 5 days and have not tested positive previously
- You have not received and do not plan to receive the COVID-19 vaccine while in the study
- You have recently developed symptom(s)
Note: These are not the only eligibility criteria for this clinical research study. A clinical research team member will help determine if this study is right for you based on all participation criteria.
What to expect:
- Participants will be randomly assigned (by chance) to receive the COVID-19 Study Pill or placebo
- Participants will receive 10 doses over 5 days
- Participants will have at least 6 scheduled follow-up visits
- Participants will track their health and report their symptoms
If you are interested in learning more about this clinical trial, please reach out to your local study site using the contact information below. The study team will answer your questions and see if you qualify to participate.
Volunteer with BCHD
If you are interested in volunteering with us, please fill out our volunteer application. Our volunteer team is currently reviewing applications and will reach out to you when available opportunities which match your interests arise.
Please complete the volunteer interest form here. Thank you!
For more volunteer opportunities, click here.
One way to help neighbors that you know is to drop off a Kindness Card to let them know you’re here to help
- Print the Kindness Card at home (DOWNLOAD HERE)
- Cut the Kindness Cards (each sheet of paper has two cards)
- Fill in your contact information and check the items you’re able to do
- Drop the Kindness Card off to the neighbors that you know or tape it to their front door
- If your neighbor answers the door, remember to practice physical distancing and remain 6 ft. away
Assemble and deliver two types of care packages to supplement essentials and let your Beach Cities neighbor know that someone cares about them! Download Care Packages list here.
Always remember to respect neighbors' privacy and practice physical distancing.
Neighbors Helping Neighbors Guidelines
When helping neighbors, such as dropping off groceries and supplies, follow these best practices for the safety of yourself and our community. Remember to wear your face mask whenever you are out obtaining essential services and keep the face mask on when you drop off groceries to your neighbor.
1. Ring the doorbell or knock on the door
2. Place items on the doorstep
3. Step six feet away from the door
|4. Wait for the neighbor to open the door|
5. Wave, say hello and ask them how they’re doing!
6. If they express needing additional help, you may suggest they call the BCHD Assistance, Information & Referral line at 310-374-3426, ext. 256 (Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.)
|7. After you leave, wash your hands or use a hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol|
Support through Donations
Beach Cities COVID-19 Fund: Beach Cities Health District has established a Beach Cities COVID-19 Fund to help residents impacted by COVID-19. The purpose of this fund is to provide Beach Cities residents who are income qualified with essentials like groceries, household and cleaning supplies, rent and utility bill assistance and durable medical equipment to help keep them safe at home. Residents wishing to submit donations by check can mail those to Beach Cities COVID-19 Fund, 1200 Del Amo Street, Redondo Beach, CA 90277.
California Community Foundation COVID-19 LA County Response Fund
United Way of Greater Los Angeles Pandemic Relief Fund
American Red Cross Blood Donations
UCLA COVID-19 Convalescent Plasma Donation
World Health Organization COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund
Los Angeles Regional Food Bank
Sign Up for Email Updates
To receive email updates, sign up for the BCHD newsletter here.
For more information on COVID-19, visit:
Centers for Disease Control & Prevention
California COVID-19 Response - covid19.ca.gov
California Department of Public Health
Los Angeles County COVID-19 Response - covid19.lacounty.gov
Los Angeles County Department of Public Health
World Health Organization