In Los Angeles County, 1 in 10 high school students reported using e-cigarettes in the past 30 days. Use increases nationally, with 1 in 5 high school students reporting e-cigarette use.
But here in the Beach Cities, youth use is even higher than the national rate.
- 1 in 4 11th graders reported using electronic cigarettes, e-cigarettes or other vaping devices in the past 30 days
- 4 in 5 11th graders reported it is fairly easy or very easy to obtain e-cigarettes or vaping devices
As of September 17, 2019, 530 cases of lung illness associated with the use of e-cigarette products have been reported to the CDC. Seven deaths have been confirmed.
- Nicotine, the highly addictive drug found in cigarettes
- Flavoring like diacetyl, a chemical that has been linked to serious lung disease
- Cancer-causing chemicals and other harmful substances
Parents, you’re the most important influence in your child’s life. Talk to them about the dangers of vaping today.
- Always keep conversations open and honest
- Come from a place of love, even when you’re having a tough conversation
- Provide positive reinforcement
- It’s never too early – or too late – to start the conversation
- Parents, find tips to have the conversation
- 10/02/2019: Manhattan Beach will ban vape products but that's not all - a total tobacco ban is also on the way (The Beach Reporter)
- 10/02/2019: Beach Cities Health District, Medical Community, Public Agencies Agree: People Should Refrain From Vaping (BCHD)
- Vaping Prevention Town Hall
In light of the growing vaping epidemic, Assemblymember Al Muratsuchi will be hosting a Vaping Prevention Town Hall.
Learn what the California Legislature is doing to address this epidemic. Experts will be discussing the dangers of vaping, why kids are choosing to vape and how to know if your child is vaping. They will also discuss how to talk to your child about the dangers of this vice. Representatives from local school districts will be talking about what they are doing to prevent it in their schools. Please join us.
Monday, October 14
6:30 p.m. - 8 p.m.
Manhattan Beach Middle School - Gymnasium
1501 N. Redondo Avenue, Manhattan Beach
- Families Connected Parent Chat
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- About Electronic Cigarettes
- Outbreak of Lung Injury Associated with E-Cigarette Use, or Vaping
- Surgeon General’s Advisory on E-cigarette Use Among Youth
- California Healthy Kids Survey, 2018-19
- Talk to your child’s pediatrician
- Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids
- Partnership for Drug-Free Kids
- California Department of Public Health Tobacco Control Program
- Los Angeles County Department of Public Health Tobacco Control and Prevention Program
- South Bay Families Connected: Tobacco and Vaping Resources