Beach Cities Health District's (BCHD) Youth Advisory Council is comprised of 50 middle and high school students (grades 8-12) from Hermosa, Manhattan and Redondo Beach schools. The Youth Advisory Council is a youth-led committee focusing on the health and well-being of their Beach Cities peers.
Youth Advisory Council members:
- Act as ambassadors and leaders of health by connecting students with resources, events and information
- Offer advice and recommendations on health issues affecting Beach Cities youth including: alcohol and other drug use, smoking, vaping, marijuana, stress, anxiety, depression, suicide and sexual identity to discuss prevalent trends and solutions
- Evaluate effectiveness of the youth programming provided by BCHD, like mindfulness events and the purpose workshops
- Develop programming for activation events at middle and high schools on topics including student mental health and substance use
- Serve a term of one year, attend four quarterly meetings and are recognized by BCHD’s publicly-elected Board of Directors
- Have the potential to gain community service hours for their time on the Youth Advisory Council
The application deadline for the 2018-2019 school year is currently closed.
For more opportunities to get involved at BCHD, please browse our current volunteer service opportunities and complete an application. For additional information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 310-374-3426 ext. 246.
Youth Advisory Council meetings are held at Beach Cities Health District (1200 Del Amo St., Redondo Beach) on Tuesdays from 6:30 – 8 p.m.
Meetings for the 2018-19 school year are scheduled on the following dates:
- September 18, 2018
- October 16, 2018
- January 15, 2019
- March 19, 2019
For questions about the Youth Advisory Council or the application process, please contact Shana Martinez, email@example.com or (310) 374-3426 ext. 161.