- PAGE UPDATED 8/19/20
Screening tool brought to you by Children’s Hospital Los Angeles
Beach Cities Health District (BCHD) works with the Hermosa Beach City School District, Manhattan Beach Unified School District and Redondo Beach Unified School District to support student, staff and family health and well-being. During COVID-19, BCHD is supporting school efforts to:
- Adapt programs to support the distance-learning environment, including LiveWell Kids Garden and Nutrition, 8-Minute Morning Exercises, Brain Breaks and MindUP. Learn more here.
- Create additional mental health and social-emotional wellness support for students, staff and families
- Assist in the health and safety protocols for return to campus including screening, testing and COVID-19 care navigation
The Los Angeles County Health Officer Order – Reopening Protocols for K-12 Schools requires schools to screen students, staff and visitors before entering campus.
Screening must include a check-in concerning cough, shortness of breath, fever and any other symptoms the visitor may be experiencing, as well as any close contact with anyone at home, school or elsewhere that the individual has been told has tested positive for COVID- 19.
Students and staff at Beach Cities school districts will have the option to do this screening, developed in partnership with Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, through their mobile device before entering the school. Families are also encouraged to do daily temperature checks at home, so they are able to accurately answer the screening questions. In-person screening will also be available for students and staff who are unable to access the screening through their mobile device by entering through the “ADDITIONAL SCREENING” line at the school entrance.
- Anyone with symptoms consistent with COVID-19, including the student or employee, with no alternative diagnosis should remain at home in isolation for a minimum of 10 days plus at least 24 hours after the resolution of fever (without fever-reducing medication) and improvement in other symptoms.
- If the student, parent/guardian or employee has had recent close contact to an individual who tested positive or who had symptoms of COVID-19, all members of the household should remain in quarantine for 14 days since their last contact with the case.
- The parent/guardian or employee should notify the school of the date once their isolation or quarantine period is complete and proceed to the “ADDITIONAL SCREENING” line at the school entrance.
- If a student or employee shows symptoms of COVID-19, they may not remain at the school site.
- If a student or employee screens GREEN, they may proceed to the “SCREENED” line at the school entrance.
- Please display the timestamped GREEN screen on your mobile device to the designated school personnel.
- If a student screens RED, please do not come to school and notify the school attendance office of your absence.
- If an employee screens RED, please do not come to work. Notify your school site administrator/designee regarding your absence.
If you have additional questions regarding health and safety, please call BCHD’s Assistance, Information & Referral line at 310-374-3426, ext. 256, on school days between 7:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. Please mention which school you are calling from to be connected to a BCHD COVID-19 Care Navigator.
2020-2021 School District Plans
Beach Cities Health District has free posters available for download. Please print and share to help slow the spread of COVID-19.
COVID-19 Health & Safety Posters
COVID-19 Health & Safety Posters created by students from BCHD’s Youth Advisory Council
- What does 6 feet physical distancing look like?
- Be smart. Have a Heart. Stay 6 feet apart.
- Stay Home if You Are Sick
- Stay Home: Text Message
- Feeling Sick? Stay Home
- How to Wash Your Hands
- A Few Times You May Want to Wash Your Hands
- 20 Second Lyrics
- STOP. Before you leave home, have you...
- Guide to Face Coverings
- Note to Parents/Guardians on Face Coverings
- Guide to No-Sew Face Coverings
- How to Use Cloth Face Coverings
COVID-19 Health & Guidance Videos created by students from BCHD's Youth Advisory Council
- Children’s Hospital Los Angeles – COVID-19 Pandemic Resources for Parents
- Resources for Parents During Distance Learning – MBUSD
- How to Talk to Your Kid About COVID-19
- South Bay Families Connected – Coronavirus Support
Guidance and Resources
COVID-19 Resources for School Staff
Conversations to have with students about COVID-19
- Talking with children about Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- How teachers can talk to children about COVID-19
- Talking to children about Coronavirus: Eight Steps for a successful conversation
- Handwashing: Clean Hands Saves Lives
- How to Disinfect your Workspace
- Cleaning, Disinfection, and Hand Hygiene in Schools
- Classroom Cleaning Tips for Teachers
Mental Health Resources for Teachers/School Staff
- Mental Health Resources for Teachers/School Staff
- How Teachers can Maintain Work-Life Balance During the Pandemic
- 8 Strategies for Building Belonging with Students and Families Virtually
- Teaching Strategies of Award-Winning Online Instructors
- Distance Learning Strategies for Education Leaders
- 7 Tips for Being a Great Virtual Teacher
Resources for Admin