Symptom Assessment Tool
This Symptom Assessment Tool is brought to you by Children’s Hospital Los Angeles. Sign up to receive COVID-19 health and other health education updates for your family from Children’s Hospital Los Angeles.
- If a student or employee screens GREEN, they may proceed to the “SCREENED” line at the school entrance.
- Please display the timestamped GREEN screen on your mobile device to the designated school personnel.
- If a student screens RED, please do not come to school and notify the school attendance office of your absence.
- If an employee screens RED, please do not come to work. Notify your school site administrator/designee regarding your absence.
If you have additional questions regarding health and safety, please call BCHD’s Assistance, Information & Referral line at 310-374-3426, ext. 256, on school days between 7:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. Please mention which school you are calling from to be connected to a BCHD COVID-19 Care Navigator.
Beach Cities Health District (BCHD) works with the Hermosa Beach City School District, Manhattan Beach Unified School District and Redondo Beach Unified School District to support student, staff and family health and well-being. During COVID-19, BCHD is supporting school efforts to:
- Adapt programs to support the distance-learning environment, including LiveWell Kids Garden and Nutrition, 8-Minute Exercises, Brain Breaks and MindUP. Learn more here.
- Create additional mental health and social-emotional wellness support for students, staff and families
- Assist in the health and safety protocols for return to campus including screening, testing and COVID-19 care navigation
Health Guidance and Protocols for Schools
- Reopening Protocols for K-12 Schools
- Exposure Management Plan for K-12 Schools
- Protocol for COVID-19 Exposure Management Plan in Early Care and Education Sites
- Protocol for Programs Providing Day Care for School-Aged Children
- Reopening Protocol for Youth Sports Leagues
Beginning October 5, schools can apply for a waiver to reopen their classrooms for in-person instruction for students in grades TK through 2. To apply, schools must complete an online application. The application must be accompanied by letters of support from employees and parents. In addition to the application and letters of support, schools must also submit a completed Public Health K-12 Protocol Checklist to demonstrate that they are in compliance with all required infection control protocols. The program prioritizes the issuance of waivers to schools with higher percentages of students qualified for free/reduced meals and is capped at 30 schools per week. The review process will take 2-3 weeks and includes consultation with the California Department of Public Health. For more information, click here.
The Los Angeles County Health Officer Order – Reopening Protocols for K-12 Schools requires schools to screen students, staff and visitors before entering campus.
Screening must include a check-in concerning cough, shortness of breath, fever and any other symptoms the visitor may be experiencing, as well as any close contact with anyone at home, school or elsewhere that the individual has been told has tested positive for COVID- 19.
Students and staff at Beach Cities school districts will have the option to do this screening, developed in partnership with Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, through their mobile device before entering the school. Families are also encouraged to do daily temperature checks at home, so they are able to accurately answer the screening questions. In-person screening will also be available for students and staff who are unable to access the screening through their mobile device by entering through the “ADDITIONAL SCREENING” line at the school entrance.
- Anyone with symptoms consistent with COVID-19, including the student or employee, with no alternative diagnosis should remain at home in isolation for a minimum of 10 days plus at least 24 hours after the resolution of fever (without fever-reducing medication) and improvement in other symptoms.
- If the student, parent/guardian or employee has had recent close contact to an individual who tested positive or who had symptoms of COVID-19, all members of the household should remain in quarantine for 14 days since their last contact with the case.
- The parent/guardian or employee should notify the school of the date once their isolation or quarantine period is complete and proceed to the “ADDITIONAL SCREENING” line at the school entrance.
- If a student or employee shows symptoms of COVID-19, they may not remain at the school site.
2020-2021 School District Plans
Click on school logo to view district plans.
Beach Cities Health District has free posters available for download. Please print and share to help slow the spread of COVID-19.
COVID-19 Health & Safety Posters
COVID-19 Health & Safety Posters created by students from BCHD’s Youth Advisory Council
COVID-19 Health & Guidance Videos created by students from BCHD's Youth Advisory Council