All Redondo Beach Unified School District elementary schools along with Hermosa View School have LiveWell Kids gardens provided by Beach Cities Health District (BCHD) and maintained by the Garden Coordinator and Garden Angel volunteers. The LiveWell Kids Garden program provides five interactive lessons per year.
The LiveWell Kids Garden Program Learning Modules Include:
- Module 1: Warm Season Harvest
Students learn about the health benefits of the warm season crops that are growing in their garden. Students harvest the garden beds and prepare a mindful tasting with the ingredients.
- Module 2: Cool Season Planting
Students learn about seasonal planting and plant seeds for cool season crops.
- Module 3: Composting
Students learn the benefits of composting, examine macro-organisms and other contents in the compost pile, and participate in building a layer of compost in their compost bin.
- Module 4: Cool Season Harvest
Students learn about the cool season crops growing in their garden and how they relate to other plants. Students also harvest their garden beds and prepare a healthy cool season dish.
- Module 5: Warm Season Planting
Students learn about warm season crops. They prepare their garden beds for planting and amend the soil before planting seeds for warm season crops.
- LiveWell Kids Recipes
- Composting tips and resources
- Learn about our water system at West Basin – free public tours
- Learn how to create a sustainable yard at Be Water Wise
- Find answers to gardening questions from a reputable educational source
Local resources for garden-related workshops:
For more information, please contact:
310-374-3426 ext. 264
Interested in becoming a Garden Angel volunteer for the LiveWell Kids Garden Program? Apply today!